Saturday 23 February 2013

Rimmel London vs Miss Sporty


Heellloooo!

I'm doing my first vs/dupe post! Are you excited? I'm excited! 

I'm loving all this metallic colour changing nail varnish thats popping up all over the place, its like a mix of science and magic (two of my favourite things) but picking one was no easy task, there are so many to choose and it seems like every brand has their own version. I finally settled on the green-purple one but the two below looked exactly the same, the only difference seemed to be the price.




In the left corner we have Miss Sporty Metal flip in Aurora Borealis weighing in a £1.99 (also on special offer at superdrug 2 for £2.99) and in the right corner we have Rimmel London Metal Rush in 60 Royal blue weighing in at £3.99.

Here are my opinions on them:

Rimmel London's Royal blue.


Firstly I'm not a huge fan of the packaging, its quite a heavy bottle as the glass base is so thick and my handbag definitely doesn't need any extra weight. I take the nail polish I'm wearing that day out with me in case of major chips! Also it says on the lid "flip your colour".....no..... I don't want to do any "flipping", I just want to paint my nails! Then underneath that it says couleur changeante...and me thinking it was english, asked the shop assistant what it said to which she replied "sorry I can't read french"... Thanks for that Rimmel...I have now found out that it means 'changing colour'...
Ok so on to the actual product.

The nail polish is very thick and only one or two coats are needed to get a really deep colour, however it did take about 5 minutes to be 100% dry which if your like me and totally impatient then that's just too long. Once it's on your nails and dry then it looks awesome and it really does completely change colour from dark green to purple at different angles...magic!  




The finish was flawless for about 20 minutes, then came the bubbles. I guess this (when tiny bubbles appear in the polish after it dries) was bound to happen quite easily as it is such a thick liquid but for me i think it's one of the most infuriating things ever!! I removed the nail varnish and tried again four times, taking all the steps to prevent bubbling..but it still happened every fudging time even when when applying just one coat. I will end on a good note and say that it does somewhat redeem itself with its chip resisting power, I have been actively trying to chip it for two days now with no success. Gotta give it some respect for that. 

Ok now we have Miss sporty's Metal flip in Aurora Borealis.


Firstly what's with all this 'flip'? I don't want to flipping flip anything! and you don't have to 'flip' your nails/hands all over the place to make it change colour, you just slightly rotate them.. 
I love the Miss Sporty nail varnish packaging (I like round things..) and you can see the colour better through the glass as there isn't a sticker covering it like there is on the Rimmel one. They both have pretty much exactly the same brush which is a really good shape and size, it's slightly rounded at the tip which makes application quicker and less messy. 
The polish is much thinner than the Rimmel one which gives you much more choice in how dark you want it, when I applied only one coat it was a lovely silvery colour with a hint of green and purple.


You do have to apply about four or five coats to get the same dark colour as one coat of the Rimmel one but it does dry much faster so having to apply lots of coats if you want a deep colour isn't so time consuming. Miss Sportys has much more of a hazy 'cosmic' 'galaxy' look to it whereas Rimmels is very 'solid' green then purple with no inbetween shade. 

Two coats, hint hint

Three coats, peek a boo I see you!


Four to five coats, BOOM in yo face! 

(Sorry that in all the pictures of it on my nails it just looks green, the purple just wouldn't show up in pictures...possibly something to do with vampires?)


The only thing that isn't great about this one is that it does chip quite easily if you don't apply a top coat. 

The fact that this one (in my opinion) has a much smoother finish than Rimmels, with no bubbles, it's so versatile because its buildable and you can get two for less than the price of one Rimmels one so that makes Miss Sporty the winner for me. 

So hopefully this will help you decide which to buy. If you have tried either of these then I'd love to read your opinions on them in the comments below. Let me know if you want more posts like this or if you want me to try out a specific product :)

I have loads more product reviews coming up so please check back soon for those!

Byyyeeee 

Jazz 
xx



8 comments:

  1. sticky label removal....using household products...saves scrubbing and damaging the packaging.

    http://voices.yahoo.com/easy-ways-remove-sticky-labels-gummy-residue-6552214.html

    I've posted this here as Youtube wouldn't let me post it there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo this Rimmel nail varnish looks amazing and the colour is so eye catching.. i love bold colours so the Rimmel one really appeals to me..
    :) great post
    Would love it if you would check out my blog as i am new to blogging and desperate for feed back :)

    Love Em

    www.dollhousebeautyblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww, so exited to have stumbled upon your blog Jazz!! Your series on tv were so good!!! I watched all of them, you are such an amazing and aspiring person :) You have a new follower! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy reading love the color.
    http://beautify.tifi11@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey cutie,

    I'm watching a documentary about you and your mom right now, googled you and found your blog.
    Very cute and awesome pictures!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know they are both owned by coty?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi jass my name is Beth canbi just say I have watched ur youtube vidioes and can i just say you are an inspiration with all the challenges you have had to face and overcome. Its just made me realise that I sometimes take things for granted and that I shouldn't hope things are going ok for thanks
    Beth xxx

    ReplyDelete